Belize City, Belize

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do-Gooders

Remember do-gooders? Sometimes they were meddling kids solving a mystery; sometimes they were eager youngsters cleaning up a community park and winning the hearts of grumpy old men; sometimes they were superheroes saving us from nefarious bad guys. But do-gooders were always out there, doing something, making the world a better place in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds, despite their own problems and doubts.

Is there still do-gooding to get done?

I've been reading a lot about aid, foreign development, and whether it's possible for folk to come in to a country, work their hearts out, spend some money on projects, and make a contribution that lasts long after the pictures are developed and tan has faded. William Easterly is skeptical. John Wood is enthusiastic. Mary Hedengren is curious.

So I've decided to head into this myself, full-force. For six weeks, I'll be living in Belize working with an organization called HELP International to try to do good. I chose HELP for a few good reasons. Not only are HELP locally based, but they follow the advice that both Easterly and Wood can agree on: be transparent, operate with low overhead, welcome "client" feedback, demand local involvement. I'm going to try this thing out, see what it's like and try to see if it's possible to do real, lasting good in this world.

But it's not just about me.

I want all of my friends and family to be involved in this adventure, so I'm asking you to get involved. Follow me on this blog as I post about my preparation and training for this experience, and as I post photos and stories from in-country. Read about the sanitary conditions in Belize. Especially, please donate to my project fund. 100% of the money will go to funding projects in Belize. You can donate in two ways:
  1. If you want to give fast and easy, please donate through my Smart Pig account. Unlike PayPal, there's no fee, and you can see how your donation gets us closer to my $800 goal.
  2. If you want to give a large, tax-deductible amount of money [HELP is a 501(c)(3)], write a check out to HELP International with my name and "Belize" in the memo area. Since HELP just moved to a larger office, you probably ought to send it to me until I figure out their new address.
Overall, my goal is to reach $1600 for projects before I leave for Belize: $800 of small donations through Smart Pig and $800 of big donations. We don't have much time: I fly out June 9th.

You can be a part of this grand adventure to help people live healthier, happier lives. To create lasting community sanitation. To be a do-gooder.

No comments:

Post a Comment